1982 – 1989 BSc Communication Department, State University of Moldova
1990 – 1992 MA in Political Sciences and Institutional Analysis, SNSPA, Romania
2000 – 2003 PhD in Law, International Free University of Moldova
Romanian – Native, Russian / English – fluent, French and Estonian - basic
Professsional Key qualifications:
- 14 years of experience in managing one of the leading think tanks in Moldova, experienced in economic analysis, public sector reform and private consulting working with Moldovan, EU and US organisations;
- Over 10 years of direct assistance in municipal government reform, strategic planning, business planning.
- Participation in several consultancy and monitoring assignments with the Council of Europe, Institutional Committee of the Congree of Local and Regional Authorities, Freedom House, UNOPS, UNDP, UNICEF, OSI/LGI.
- Proven ability to monitor, evaluate and contribute in various international research projects, i.e. on foreign policy, regional security framework, ENP, (European Neigbhourhood Policy), IPAP (Nato – Moldova).
- Regular participation with accademic contributions in various national and international conferences.
Areas of Expertise
- Political Analysis, Public Law, Regional Development
- International Relations and Transition in the South-Eastern Europe and NIS (Newly Independent States)
- Leadership, Excellent Written and Verbal Communications
- Political Comentator to the BBC and RFERL (Radio Free Europe), Romanian-lanaguage Programmes (1996-2010)
- University course ‘Public Policy: Theory and Practices’ at Academy of Economic Studies (ASEM) – 2007-2010
Membership of professional bodies:
- Member of the International Board of PASOS (Policy Association Network), Prague (since 2008);
- Member of the Administrative Board of the Black Sea Trust for Regional Cooperation (since 2007)
- Member of the External Evaluation Board of the Balkan Trust for Democracy (since 2005)
- Member of the Council of Observers, Teleradio-Moldova Public Company (since 2007)
- Expert of the Working Group of Institutional Committee of the Council of Europe (since 2001 till 2008)
- Member of the Editorial Board of South East Europe Review for Labor and Social Affairs, Dueselldorf, since 2001
Over 10 Monographies and 20 collective-books written in the last 15 years, printed in Moldova as well as abroad:
- Chapter in ‚Anthology of Papers on Local Government in South Eastern Europe’, OSI/LGI, 1999, Budapest, Vol.II
- Chapter ‘Social Multipolarity and Political Violence’, in National Integration and Violent Conflict in Post Soviet Societies: Cases of Estonia and Moldova, edited by Pal Kolsto, Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc. NY, 2002
- "Developing New Rules in the Old Environment" - editing the III volume of the state of local governments in fSU (2002);
- Working Paper #12 ‘Local Development in Moldova: Concepts and Practices’, 1998, OSI/LGI Discussion Paper
- Monography ‘Regional Developments in Moldova’, Edited by IDSI Viitorul, in Chisinau, 2000, Cartier
- Monography ‚Political Corruption: concepts and practical abuses’, published by the Cartier, Chisinau, 2001
- Anthology „Quo Vadis, Moldova”?, Anthology of papers on Moldova”s multiple transitions, Lyviv, 2008.
- ‚Moldova towards democracy and stability: from ex-Soviet empire to the world of democratic values’. Chisinau, 2005.
- Monography ‚Political Parties in Moldova: laws, practices and regulations’, OSCE/ODIHR (February – May, 2010)
Active contributions to outstanding publishing houses and journals:
- Article for the OSCE Yearbook (1999)‚’OSCE and Moldova’, edited by Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft in Baden-Baden, by the Institute for Peace Research and Security Policy at the University of Hamburg/IFSH (Ed.);
- ‚Small Business in a Small State’, in Problems of Economic Transition (PET) - 2005 by M.E.Sharpe in New York, NY 10504;
- Article ‘Playback or Change? Revising results of general election’, Romanian Society of Political Sciences, 2005.
- Article ‚The Black Sea Area: A Mix of identities in formation’, in A New Euro-Atlantic Strategy for the Black Sea Region, GMF, A.Ronald D., K.Dimitrov and J.Forbrig, Bratislava, 2004
- ‚Moldova and the ENP’, in An Enlarged Europe and its Neigbhourhood Policy: the Eastern Dimension, Riga 2004, LATO
- Article ‘Povolebne Moldavsko hlada legitimity’, in Zahranicna Politika, 3/2009, Bratislava, p.5-8
- Article ‘Lesssons learned from the six-years ENP legacy in Moldova’, written with Estonian School of Diplomacy for the Brill Academic Publishers (Netherlands), soon to be published.
- Moldova’s “Twitter Revolution”, article written with Alina Mungiu-Pippidi, Journal of Democracy, July 2009, Vol.20
- Article ‘A roadmap for Moldova’, EuropeanVoice.com, 01.05.2009, www.europeanvoice.com
Active participation in a wide network of international research programs and initiatives:
- EU PHARE “Integration and Nation-Building in Bi-Cultural post-Soviet societies: the cases of Estonia and Moldova”, Study conducted under the aegis of the Department of East European and Oriental Studies, Oslo University, Norway
- EU PHARE “Democratic Security Building in the Black Sea Region’s Project”, Aberdeen University, UK (1998 - 1999);
- EU PHARE “Training for CEI countries in transition”, in cooperation with scientists of the L’Europa Centro Orientale e Balcanica, Bologna University, Italy (April 1999 - April 2000);
- UNDP Research Paper on “Case Studies of Best Practices in Civil Service Reforms”, Project implemented in cooperation with UNPOS (New York) - GLO/97/625, UNDP/UNOPS (1998 - 1999);
- NED Project on Democratic Audit, Regional study (2003-2004: IRIS-Bulgaria & CIPDD-Georgia;
- Scorecard Assessment and Analysis on Moldova, in Nations in Transit (2004), Freedom House, Washington, 2004
- Developing a New Euro-Atlantic Strategy for the Black Sea Region” (April, May, June 2004), under the aegis of GMF (US);
- Collaborative Research Project “Bridging Perceptions of Security: Integrating the Black Sea Region”, Centre for European Assessment on Moldova, in Global Integrity Survey (2007), Global Integrity - NW, Washington, DC 20006, USA
- Collaborative Research on ‘Family in Transition’. An Overview of the Values, Ideology and Habits in Transition, Study conducted at IDIS at the request of UNICEF-Moldova, May – October, 2007.
- Assessment on Moldova, in Global Integrity Survey (2008), Global Integrity - NW, Washington, DC 20006, USA.
Professional Records Experience
Academy of Economic Studies: Chisinau/Moldova (between 2007 and 2010)
- Designed, elaborated and prepared a Course on ‘Public Policy: Theory and Practice’ for the Curriculum of II-III Year Students of Economics and Management, at ASEM.
- Designed, elaborated and lectured a Course ‘State, Society and its Actors’ for the Curriculum of the III Year Students of Economics and Public Administration Department, at ASEM;
Institute for Development and Social Initiatives (IDIS) “Viitorul”: Chisinau/Moldova (between 1996 and 2010)
- As Executive Director of IDIS, I have developed, implemented and guided on research activities at the Institute;
- Planned, directed and directy participated in more than 30 of projects implemented by IDIS (1996 - 2007, providing reliable data to the partners involved in these projects, assessing the progressess, obstacles and their progress;
International Foundation for Election Systems (IFES), Chisinau/Moldova (between 1994 and 1996)
- Served as Senior Expert and Assistant to the Director since openning of the IFES Office in 1994 in Moldova
- Providing consultancy on major cross cutting issues addressed by IFES in Moldova: public & political education, providing technical support to the respective election bodies, assisting civic and democracy-oriented activists;
- Drafted various documents, articles, organized conferences, public events, political training in various issues involving domestic and international experts of the IFES;
Moldovan Presidency: Chisinau/Moldova (between October 1992 and December 1994)
- Developed regular analytical briefs on the fields of executive – legislative relationship, conducted topical surveys and monitored implementation of some of the economic objectives;
- Wrote policy recommendations, coordinated the work of several interministerial committees on political issues of concern for the President, summarizing the feedbacks and policy inputs received from the executive officials, involved civil society leaders and independent experts, provided policy-coordinated councilling to the presidential advisors;
- Served as Head of Political Analysis Division for 6 months (2003), providing strategic coordination, senior analytical competencies and institutional leadership;
- Organized the 1st Conference on NATO-Moldova Partnership (November 1993) with top-level officials from Brussels NATO Headquarter, and key-officials of the Moldovan Government, Presidency, Parliament, and civil society.